The Swiss Federal Office of Energy (SFOE) is the country's competence centre for issues relating to energy supply and energy use at the Federal Department of the Environment, Transport, Energy and Communications (DETEC).
- Creates the prerequisites for a sufficient, crisis-proof, broad-based, economic and sustainable energy supply.
- Ensures the maintenance of high safety standards in the production, transport and utilisation of energy.
- Creates the necessary conditions for efficient electricity and gas markets and an adapted infrastructure.
- Actively promotes efficient energy use, an increase in the share of renewable energy and a reduction in CO2 emissions.
- Promotes and coordinates national energy research and supports the development of new markets for sustainable energy use and supply.
As of 1 January 2022, the SFOE had 310 employees.
The SFOE has a global budget in 2022 of around CHF 93.7 million, planned revenues of around CHF 1.4 billion, and administers transfer credits of around CHF 1.8 billion.