The Nuclear Waste Management Advisory Board was created by the Swiss Federal Department of the Environment, Transport, Energy and Communications (DETEC) in 2009, and it supports the department with the implementation of the site selection procedure for deep geological repositories. Thanks to its independent status and its function as a national advisory board, it is able to offer views from an outside perspective. In addition, it sets out to promote dialogue among all involved players and help identify process risks and barriers to progress.
Dr. Peter Bieri, Councillor of State, leads the Advisory Board.
As part of its mandate, the Advisory Board will ensure that the search for sites for deep geological repositories for radioactive waste ends in a safe and acceptable long-term solution for society.
The members of the board are:
- Dr. Peter Bieri, Councillor of State, Chairman of the Advisory Board
- Sibylle Ackermann Birbaum, theologist, biologist
- Dr. Detlef Appel, geologist
- Petra Baumberger, linguistics and media scholar
- Herbert Bühl, geologist, former Government Councillor, director of Naturama Aargau
- Heinz Karrer, CEO Axpo Holding AG