The Nuclear Waste Management Advisory Board was created by the Swiss Federal Department of the Environment, Transport, Energy and Communications (DETEC) in 2009, and it supports the department with the implementation of the site selection procedure for deep geological repositories. Thanks to its independent status and its function as a national advisory board, it is able to offer views from an outside perspective. In addition, it sets out to promote dialogue among all involved players and help identify process risks and barriers to progress.
Dr. Peter Bieri, former Councillor of State, leads the Advisory Board.
As part of its mandate, the Advisory Board will ensure that the search for sites for deep geological repositories for radioactive waste ends in a safe and acceptable long-term solution for society.
The members of the board are:
- Dr. Peter Bieri, former Councillor of State, Chairman of the Advisory Board
- Petra Baumberger, linguistics and media scholar
- Herbert Bühl, geologist, former Government Councillor, President of the Federal Commission for the Protection of Nature and Cultural Heritage FCNC
- Anna Deplazes Zemp, bioethicist and molecular biologist at the university of Zurich
- Jürgen Kreusch, geologist
- Andrew Walo, CEO Axpo Holding AG