In order to achieve its objectives, the SFOE has a workforce of around 270 employees, who are responsible for the following main areas of activity:
- Preparation and implementation of a coherent energy policy, and preparation and enforcement of the necessary legislation and programmes.
- Promotion of research and development in the area of economical and efficient energy use and the use of renewable forms of energy.
- Dealing with issues relating to the energy industry and energy technology.
- Processing and granting of licences in the area of nuclear energy.
- Licensing of electrical systems for which the Federal Inspectorate for Heavy Current Installations is not responsible.
- Licensing of pipeline systems.
- Appropriate utilisation of hydropower and its regulation on bodies of water bordering neighbouring countries.
- Technical and operational safety of dams and reservoirs, as well as pipeline systems in Switzerland.
In 2018, the SFOE comprises six divisions, plus an International Energy Affairs and a Cleantech section.