International co-operation is of the utmost importance in all areas covered by the Photovoltaics research programme. Involvement in international activities and an intensive exchange of information and findings are therefore among the most important goals the programme is pursuing in, and together with, a variety of organisations.
Here the following programmes and organisations are of particular importance:
- EU framework research programmes: Switzerland regularly and successfully participates in calls for tenders issued by EU research programmes, both in small-scale and in large integrated projects.
- EU PV Technology Platform: Switzerland is represented on the steering committee, as well as in workgroups of the European Photovoltaics Technology Platform.
- PV-ERA-NET: Switzerland is actively involved in the network of the European Photovoltaics Programme.
- IEA PVPS: Switzerland plays an important part in this global IEA photovoltaics programme, in that it currently holds the chair. It also regularly contributes towards a variety of projects within the scope of this programme.
- IEC: Switzerland is actively involved in IEC Technical Committee 82 on photovoltaics standards.
- Development co-operation organisations: Switzerland is involved in selected projects in developing and transitional countries, and maintains close contacts with the corresponding international organisations, e.g. GTZ (German Technical Co-operation), GEF (Global Environment Facility), IFC (International Finance Corporation), WB (World Bank).
International cooperation is therefore firmly established at all levels in the area of photovoltaics in Switzerland, which also maintains close ties with a powerful world-wide network of research institutions, industry players and international institutions.